I wanted to share with you part of myself which I normally don't feel comfortable talking about even with my friends because I'm a pretty shy person.
I have Polycystic ovary syndrome or PCOS as its commonly known as. Its something that has affected me since I was at university. There are many different symptoms of PCOS. Some lucky ones might only be affected mildly whilst others may suffer from symptoms such as irregular menstruation cycles, acne, weight gain, excess hair in the places you don't want it and hair loss in the place you do want it! I wont go into the details of the condition because I'm sure you can Google it and find much better descriptions that I could ever give. But I wanted to share with you one of the symptoms that I have experienced personally and that is severe hair loss.
When I was younger I had really thick strong shiny hair but as I got older my hair shed more and more. Over the past 5 years in particular I noticed the crown of my head thinning more. When I look at photo's of myself I can see that my hair near my parting has thinned out alot and my scalp is particularly visible. I felt so embarrassed by it and it has really affected my confidence.
Over the past few years I have made a conscious effort to take care of my hair as much as possible...
- Washing my hair every other day or less if I can get away with it with the help of dry shampoos
- Using mild shampoos, nothing harsh like the anti-dandruff ones
- Reduced heat considerably, drying naturally as often as possible
- Using the low heat setting on my hairdryer to straighten and style my hair rather than straightners
- Always using heat protectant
- Using a hair oil like Coconut Oil, Amla and almond oil once a week as deep conditioner
- No chemical hair dyes at all (until about 2 months ago)
I have to admit I have never really used any products before which are specifically designed to stimulate hair growth because I have been reluctant to use harsh chemicals on my scalp in case it gets any worse. However I am about to start trying out a few products which have had clinically proven results for some people.
So this is my little heart to heart and my hair story so far. Over the next month or so I will feature a few products which I have been using recently to help me with my hair dilemma which I hope some people will find interesting.
Cherry Lane xoxo